Thursday, October 22, 2009

Norton?

My sister came back from a trip to St. Louis with a bottle of Cross J Norton from Stone Hill Winery in Hermann MO. Have to admit I was more than a little skeptical since I've never had a really good - or for that matter drinkable - midwestern wine. Did some research on the intertubes and found some interesting info on the Norton grape. I opened the bottle one evening and was entirely surprised by the Cross J. It's a BIG red, a credible wine. Although it seemed pretty closed and didn't have a lot of fruit, or for that matter, much of a nose at all, it seemed pretty young and like it might have some serious potential. Shared some with the Neighbor and my son, and both of them made polite comments about the new wine. Corked it and into the fridge it went, half a bottle. Too good to toss, but not good enough to drink more than a glass.

Two days later I found it in the fridge, pulled it out, and poured a glass. WOW. What a change! The wine opened up and changed totally. Huge nose. Serious tannins, but not overwhelming, and definitely a bit smoother than they were on opening. Big flavors of dark fruit and some cherries in there too. The fruity finish went on forever. I would not have bought another bottle of Norton based on the first taste. The second try changed that: I have eight bottles on order from Chrysalis, Horton, and St. James.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.